Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sheep (again)

Psalm 119:169-176 (NIV)

"Let my cry come before you, O LORD;
give me understanding according to your word!
Let my plea come before you;
deliver me according to your word.
My lips will pour forth praise,
for you teach me your statutes.
My tongue will sing of your word,
for all your commandments are right.
Let your hand be ready to help me,
for I have chosen your precepts.
I long for your salvation, O LORD,
and your law is my delight.
Let my soul live and praise you,
and let your rules help me.
I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant,
for I do not forget your commandments."


At book club yesterday morning, the "buzz" was all about the sheep from the field behind us that keep finding ways over & under their fence to visit our back yards. Yesterday morning one lone lamb was spotted and my neighbor shepherdessed it back to it's own pasture.

This morning was my turn to look out and find two of them hurriedly eating what they could scrape up. I carefully opened my door and quietly sneaked out to get as close to them as I could without spooking them. It was cold and my hands were shaking as I attempted to snap pictures. This one saw me first. It bleated to it's partner-in-crime and they took off down the line of backyards, about four homes away, to the place where they'd gotten in.

I'm often like those sheep. I sometimes perk up my ears when someone other than The Master calls. I even reach out my neck to check out what's being offered. Dumb me. Just like those dumb sheep. They took off running back to safety. HIS arms are open and He takes me back. Every time. "Let my soul live and praise You, and let your rules help me."

Grace & Peace,
Leslie

3 comments:

GwendolynKay said...

This is a beautiful devotion. It is such a blessing to find God's word out here in blog land. Have a blessed day.
Gwen
p.s. I am having a little give away.. come over and have a peak:)

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

What a sweet heartfelt post Leslie.

I'm still planning on emailing you back, just having a hard time getting on top of everything after being gone, and now the surgery!

cheryl said...

I LOVE your sheep...and I love Jayme's blog too! We should stop in and surprise her someday when you're up here! I keep telling Dennis I want a rooster...and well, I'll tell you the rest when I come down Monday! tee-hee!