Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tuesdays For Timothy Moms V (on a Thursday)

To find out more about Tuesdays for Timothy Moms, pop over to Sheila's blog Timothy Moms to find out more.



This week, Sheila asked us to post our meditations on this passage:

If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:7-11)

I was thinking about this again this morning as I woke for the day. Yesterday I had to take Miss B. to task over her attitude in general and a couple of other small things that I had been letting slide. Does God do that with us? Does He give me the chance to realize the rabbit trail I've headed down before chastening me back to His perfect path? Does He delight in the sweet fellowship that comes after my change of heart?
I believe that as parents, we have a unique view into God's own heart. He is our perfect Father, never making mistakes, never growling at us because He's had a bad day, never putting His own desires above our best. He always has time to sit with us. His laundry is always done, His meals for us always prepared on time. His patience never fails.
So the current result of all my ruminations is a committment to strive to be more Godly in my own parenting. If my teens drive me crazy sometimes, how must He feel about me?
Grace & Peace,
Leslie

No comments: